Giving To THU
Endowment Program Priorities
Building solid endowments will allow us to better support our students and faculty members’ development. There are four endowment priorities we will focus on:
1. Multipurpose stadium project
Since its completion in 1958, the stadium has supported numerous large indoor activities, such as earlier graduations, Christmas parties, lectures, and concerts. It is believed that such memories have been deeply etched in the minds of many. The historical building is approaching its sixth decade with the student population increasing from 1,000 to more than 17,000 at the moment. The space for indoor activities is extremely inadequate therefore a new multipurpose stadium is needed to accommodate the needs of a growing student population. In order to promote the project of a “multipurpose stadium”, a fund account is established. A total budget of 420 million NT dollars is needed to build new facilities which includes a 25-m heated swimming pool for instruction, 8 badminton courts, a 300 ping gym (fitness center), a 200 ping dancing classroom, and 2 basketball and volleyball courts in the second teaching area (next to the police department).
|Total budget:||420 million NT dollars|
|School's matching grant:||140 million NT dollars|
|Fund raised amount:||16 million NT dollars|
|Required fundraising:||264 million NT dollars|
2. Construction of new student dormitory
Learning in the dormitory is an important liberal arts focus in Tunghai University. There are a total of 5,186 beds in student dormitories. In order to fulfill labor education and protect the needs of special students, about 3,300 beds are offered for freshman students and 250 beds for disabled students, international students, graduate students and volunteers. The rest (1550 beds) are left for balloting to which about 2,800 students apply each year. It is not enough to accommodate the number of students applying. It is a burden to study in a private school; more than one-third of the students in the university have applied for student loans. Affordable apartments off campus ask for around 30,000 NTD per semester, while it only costs from 7,600 to 12,600 NTD per semester to stay in the dormitory. Having children stay in the dormitory could reduce the economic pressure for parents and relieve their concerns for safety.
A new dormitory with 1,000 beds is planned to strengthen the competitiveness of student recruitment.
|Total budget:||400 million NT dollars|
|School’s matching grant:||120 million NT dollars|
|Required fundraising:||280 million NT dollars|
3. Renovation of Ming Hsien Hall
Oberlin Center (including Ming Hsien Hall), donated by the US Oberlin College, was built with approximately US$50,000. The dedication ceremony was held on June 21 1959, after its completion. Since there are lots of student activities held in Ming Hsien Hall, the old facilities and equipment require updating. The construction is implemented from December 2015 to June 2016, but the total budget is still short of 5 million NTD. (Update includes electric extension stands, extendable stage floor, stage audio equipment, stage lighting, stage curtains, display, and stage set.)
|Total budget:||12.6 million NT dollars|
|School’s matching grant:||4 million NT dollars|
|Fundraised amount:||3.6 million NT dollars|
|Required fundraising:||5 million NT dollars|
4. A/B House renovation
A/B House dormitory, founded in 1955, is one of the oldest buildings in Tunghai University. Designed by Mr. Chen Chi-kuan and Mr. Chang Chao-kang, it presents the community-style building with low density pattern. Since its founding, the A/B House was used to accommodate scholars recruited from abroad, as well as professors from within Taiwan. Unfortunately a few of the units have fallen into disrepair. A fund was therefore established to renovate these units and make them available for more faculty members.
|Total budget:||15.7 million NT dollars|
|School’s matching grant:||3 million NT dollars|
|Fundraised amount:||3 million NT dollars|
|Required fundraising:||9.7 million NT dollars|
Local residents can send their gifts to:
P.O. Box 949
Electronic Funds Transfer:
You can conveniently transfer your gift by using the Taiwan Postal Service. Please designate “Tunghai University” as the recipient, Postal Account # 00216 021.
Please write “Tunghai University” on your check.
Residents in the United States
475 Riverside Drive, Suite 1221
New York, NY 10115
Tunghai University ‘Donor Reward Guidelines’
- Tunghai University has created guidelines to acknowledge donor generosity. Individuals or groups who give are eligible for various appreciation gifts.
- These tokens of appreciation apply to all financial gifts or property contributed to Tunghai University. These guidelines cover gifts to the university, specific departments, endowed chairs, endowment funds, equipment, buildings or other university programs.
- The following lists the “Donor Appreciation Rewards” based on contribution value:
- Gifts over NT 5,000 entitle the giver to a ‘Yu-Shan Bank – Tunghai University Credit Card’. The card is exempt from annual fees. Every time you use the card, the Yu-Shan Bank donates a percentage to the University. In addition, donors also receive a special thank you card.
- Gifts over NT 10,000 to NT 30,000 entitle the donor to a set of commemorative Tunghai University telephone cards, and the previous level (a)’s benefits.
- Gifts over NT 30,000 to NT 50,000 entitle the giver to a special ‘Friend of Tunghai University’ certificate and all the rewards of the previous levels.
- Donors who give over NT 50,000 to NT 150,000 are entitled to a unique Tunghai University commemorative souvenir and all the rewards at the previous giving levels.
- Donations over NT 150,000 entitle the giver to have their name engraved on a campus wall plaque and all the rewards at the previous levels.
The following giving levels entitle contributors to name campus rooms or buildings.
- Contributors who give NT 500,000-NT 1 million can name a research room.
- Contributors who give over NT 1 million to NT 3 million can name a classroom or laboratory.
- Contributors who give over NT 3 million to NT 5 million can name a large classroom or department library.
- Contributors who give over NT 5 million to NT 10 million can name a tiered-lecture classroom or conference room.
- Contributors over NT 10 million to NT 20 million can name a large conference hall.
- For a single donation over NT 20 million which reaches two thirds of the building's total worth/cost, the donor is entitled to negotiate with Tunghai University in naming the aforementioned building--part or whole--as a rewarding honor in memory of the donor.
Contributions are cumulative. This allows you to enjoy the rewards a. – e.
- According to “Application and regulation of vehicle permission in Tunghai University” Article 4 (amended and passed in the administration meeting on March 11, 2015), a person who donates up to a certain amount each semester (except school students in membership) could apply for the VIP pass for the academic year or the next academic year, according to following standards.
- Up to 100,000 NTD per year.
- Up to a half million NTD for five consecutive years.
- Up to one million NTD for ten consecutive years.
A person donating up to 5 million NTD is granted a lifelong VIP pass.
- In addition to the above donor rewards, donors are entitled to enjoy various Tunghai University facilities, based on the value of their contribution. The facilities include:
- Alumni House accommodation and university conference rooms
- Swimming Pool and Fitness/Weight Room (faculty-staff discount)
- Library use and borrowing book privileges
- Off-campus Student Center (apartment rental, home tutor, student worker introduction services)
*Individual donors who reach giving levels (3 b) can use the facilities for one-year, (3c) two years, (3d) three years, (3e) four years, (3f) five years, (3g) eight years, (3h) ten years, and (3i-k) lifetime use.
- Contributions made by groups, such as companies, organizations, foundations, and other corporate entities are entitled to the following benefits:
- a. One legally responsible person from each entity can enjoy the rewards and benefits (3, 4, and 5) listed above.
- b. In addition, three other members of that entity can enjoy Tunghai facilities.
- Donors can consult the Taiwan Ministry of Education’s regulations to see if they are eligible for special recognition for giving to educational institutions.
- These donor appreciation rewards have been officially approved by Tunghai University. Any changes require Faculty Senate approval.